Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Rights of Spring



A bridge would be simple enough and yet it was time for me to go as this one crested and I found myself not caring.


I cared less for that than I did for this, a place where I stood and once pretended that I was in Monterey.


Turns out I didn't need to be in Monterey to smell pine or feel clean by the ocean.


And yet, I still had to cross that bridge, or at least another one - a longer one that I wanted to stop in the middle of, and take a long look at both sides.


But, who can really stop on a bridge? I tried to look over the edge but things moved too quickly.



When I visited Mom, we walked in the morning but were cranky in the wind.


When the day warmed, we walked again in the afternoon.
I stared at blue bottles and realized we were in false spring.



I left late Sunday, already missing the oaks and the green hillsides.
But I realized it was my old life that I missed, as I caught the rhythm of a freedom awakened by a quiet drive down Highway 101.



How long had I been a passenger when I'd thought I was behind the wheel?



To be fair, it's not everyone who can approach a cloud...



... And wish for a three-pronged justice.




Still, I walked by this wall and knew I had come to the wrong place.
(That was September.)



But, I had to celebrate something through those months.



Or we'd all fall down.




Around Christmas, I had lunch downtown but didn't feel much like kissing the man I was with. I wished my mom was coming to the concert with us instead. We'd have sat at a banquette, sipped Earl Grey, not rushed through dessert, and allowed this painting to take us away.



There was always, Venice, I suppose. Venice Boulevard, that is. Though I can't seem to find the glory in that, even if my great-grandmother lived there by herself for thirty years, twisting her waist-length hair into a bun and dusting her face with fine powder before she sat down, fully dressed, for breakfast. She lived alone but there was a sense of ceremony to her self-care. And Venice Boulevard or not, there was a reason why she lived to be 97-years-old:
she was fiercely independent.




So, this journey started last summer, when I packed my books and my things...




... and took a picture of the sky before I left.



Just how does the sky manage to pull us back and right us every time?

1 comment:

  1. Bridge: When bridges are built primarily to ease commercial interests, they leave little for the soul...and great bridges embrace the notion of connection as the primary reason of their existence, not efficiency.

    Sky: Perhaps it is because the sky is always there, even if it wears a different face when we look. It provides us with 'There'...the dome of Heaven.

    ReplyDelete